Where to start
Considering starting a home based business?
Many of the business startup steps are the same. For example, home based entrepreneurs will need to evaluate their skill set and talents, examine if the space available in their home will work, develop a business model, and iron out a plan for doing business. A strong web presence is a must, as is understanding social media.
Consider intellectual property, business registration, funding, taxes, zoning restrictions, business licensing, and insurance, as described throughout the rest of this guide.
Try this article from the balance small business for more information. INC also outlines what is necessary of entrepreneurs who start a business from their home. All Business has 101 tips on life when managing a business from home.
Scroll down for books on managing social media for businesses.
Want to sell on Etsy or eBay?
Setting up a shop online can be a quicker, more streamlined option for starting a business. An Etsy or eBay business is still a business. See Etsy's three legal considerations shop owners need to deal with.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when starting out:
- Etsy and eBay charge sellers fees. Prospective sellers should also consider shipping and inventory management logistics.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) can be the difference between one seller and another. Learn about how to tag items for sale on Etsy. Similarly, see how to tag items for sale on eBay. All of your items posted for sale should have all the tags you can add to them.
- Photography of items listed for sale online can make all the difference in a shop that looks professional and trustworthy, and one that doesn’t. Photos should be staged, well lit, with few or no shadows, edited, and clean looking. Products should be photographed from multiple angles. Photos should help buyers get a sense of the size of the product.
- The state of IL requires online sellers to pay sales tax.
- Consider also the effort you will need to put into marketing an online shop in order to alert online shoppers of your products. Many successful sellers have an online presence outside of their original online shop to help drum up interest. This can include:
- Having a website
- Drumming up a following on social media channels such as Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, or YouTube.
Scroll down for books on starting an Etsy or eBay business with these books.
Books to help you manage your business' social media
Successful Social Media Marketing in a Week
How to Use the Internet to Advertise, Promote, and Market Your Business Or Website
One Million Followers
Digital Marketing Analytics
Understanding Digital Marketing
Likeable Social Media
Social Media Strategy
Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing All-in-One For Dummies