Lake Forest Library, Lake Forest, Illinois, is seeking a full-time Manager of Technical Services. This position manages all aspects of technical services and has two full-time direct reports. Applicants should have 4+ years experience in a public library setting that includes materials handling and management experience. Department requires "jump-in" and help personality, good teaching skills, and desire to think broadly about workflows and productivity.
- Full time; includes health benefits, vacation, holiday, and sick leave benefits
- 37-hour week, includes evenings and weekends
- Salary: starting at $23.50/hour, DOQ
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the receipt, processing, and data entry of all library materials.
- Classifies and catalogs new and existing library materials.
- Enters library materials into the shared ILS database; deletes materials from the database.
- Coordinates changes to materials in library collections.
- Interviews, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff in own department.
- Designs and supervises workloads for Technical Services Assistants.
- Manages materials recovery program with third-party vendor.
- Attends meetings and workshops as required.
- Acts as liaison with library system to ensure library’s compliance with CCS system technical services policies and best practices.
- Recommends policies and procedures related to own department.
- Serves as person in charge of the building at designated times.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and tracks orders with vendors.
- Maintains open lines of communication with staff and fosters the same.
- Functions as a member of the library management team, attending weekly department head meetings.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with co-workers, staff of other libraries, and the general public.
- Cooperates as a team member with the library staff in performing any duty essential to the achievement of efficient library operations.
- Implements emerging trends in materials handling and collection services.
- Engages in continuing professional development activities.
- Responsible for opening and closing the library.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's of Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university.
- Experience with cataloging in a public library consortium environment with an integrated library system, preferably Polaris.
- Experience working with OCLC.
- Intermediate to advanced computer and information technology skills.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles and techniques of librarianship.
- Proven ability utilizing software for data organization and analysis (e.g., Excel, Access).
- Ability to successfully initiate, track, and manage projects
- Strong customer service skills, communication skills, organizational skills, ability to work as a team member and individually.
- Ability to exercise tact, leadership and judgment and direct, coordinate, plan and administer for quality library service to the community.
- Ability to translate patron needs and interests into effective library services and programs.
- Ability to work independently to develop, plan, and organize and execute department priorities.
- Ability to relate to co-workers in a positive and responsive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
How to apply
Email cover letter, resume, and three references to Catherine Lemmer, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use subject line: Technical Services Manager. No phone calls, please.
Lake Forest Library is located in the Northeast suburbs of Chicago. The Library's mission is to inspire life-long learning, promote the free and respectful exchange of ideas, and build community. Learn more about Lake Forest Library at www.lakeforestlibrary.org.