Getting Started with the Libby App
Steps to access free eBooks & audiobooks
Downloading the Libby app and signing in
Search for "libby" in your device's app store and download the Libby app.
Open the app and follow the prompts.
If this is your first time installing Libby on any of your devices, choose "I'll Search For A Library" or "... guess your library." The app should find Lake Forest Library if you are near the Library. If the app does not automatically find your Library, then select "No" when it asks you if this is your library. Search for "Lake Forest Library" and select it.
On the screen that asks you to sign into Digital Library of Illinois, select "Lake Forest Library" (again). Enter your library card number with no spaces between the numbers. You will then be taken to the Digital Library of Illinois catalog to browse and borrow books.
Searching for a book
- There are 2 ways to search or browse
- Use the magnifying glass search tool to search for a specific title, author, or keyword.
- Select "Explore" to browse different collections and genres.
- You can refine search results by selecting "+ Preferences" and refining your search settings.
Borrowing a book
- To borrow an item, click on the book cover image. You will be prompted to "Borrow the book" if it is currently available or "Place a hold" if it is currently checked out by another user.
- If you click "Borrow," the next screen will prompt you to click "Borrow" a second time. After you click Borrow, you will be given the option to either "Keep browsing" or "Go to shelf to read or listen to your book."
- If you click "Place a Hold," you will be asked to enter your email address. You will be notified via email when your hold is available for checkout.
- Your holds and checkouts can be viewed by clicking "Shelf."
Reading or listening to a book
- Your "Shelf" is where everything you have checked out through Libby can be found. Tap on a book cover to start reading or listening. The Libby app will save your progress.
Don't worry about late fees; books in Libby return themselves once the loan period ends. You can return a book early by selecting Manage Loan in your shelf. This will allow the next user on hold to begin reading.
Watch the video tutorial
Libby at a glance
Go to catalog
Up to 3 weeks
5 items at a time
7 holds at a time
Yes. No late fees!
Yes: Smartphones, tablets, all your devices! Just install the app.
Yes: Computer browser
Yes: Kindle eReader, but only if you start at lakeforestlibrary.org/dlil and select "Kindle Book" at checkout