Lake Forest Library through the years
Lake Forest Library was chartered on July 4, 1898 by Lake Forest City Council. The first library board members, appointed by Mayor Edward F. Gorton soon after granting the charter, were J.J. Halsey, D.W. Hartman, Calvin Durand, George S. Holt, Charles S. Frost, John Kemp, David B. Jones, Richard G. Watson, and David Fales.
Library opens on second floor of Lake Forest City Hall as part of that building's opening on June 24.
Marie A. Skinner begins as Library Director.
Mary Van Horne begins as Library Director in November.
First catalog listing books by author and subject.
Esther K. Johnston begins as Library Director.
Frances Kemp begins as Library Director on April 1.
Stella R. Glasgow begins as Library Director on March 1.
Architectural Landscape drawings prepared for the Foundation for Architecture and Landscape Architecture installed at the Library.
The Library moved to its current location at 360 East Deerpath Road on June 7, 1931. The present building, designed as a library by architect Edwin H. Clark, was given to the City of Lake Forest by Mrs. Charles H. Schweppe and Mrs. Stanley Keith in memory of Mrs. Keith's first husband, Kersey Coates Reed, and was dedicated on June 7, 1931.
The building and siting of the Library was overseen by the Library President, Alfred E. Hamill, a wealthy book collector, poet, investment banker and friend of David Adler, who had designed Hamill's Centaurs estate.
Designed in the Art Deco style popular in the 1920s and 1930s, the Library is located in a National Register Historic District. The building follows a classic symmetrical plan around a central domed rotunda, similar to the 1929 Shedd Aquarium. The building, its landscape, and its art are an excellent example of the Chicago Renaissance, the period from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition to the start of World War II.
The high-ceilinged, wood-paneled rooms on the building’s main level contribute to its warm and inviting atmosphere. The fireplace in the Friends Reading Room is lit from November to April.
"The Archer" Kersey Coates Reed memorial covered limestone bas-relief by Oskar J. W. Hansen (1892–1971) by Oskar J. W. Hansen installed in the Library's Rotunda. The archer's face is a likeness of Mr. Reed. The inscription reads "In memory of Kersey Coates Reed, eighteen hundred and eighty—nineteen hundred and twenty-nine—who was much loved in Lake Forest—where he lived—and who cared greatly for good books—this building has been erected."
U. Langenegger's wood sculpture busts of Ralph Waldo Emerson (Friends Reading Room) and John Greenleaf Whittier (Reference Room) installed. 1935 The Library's name changed from Lake Forest Public Library to Lake Forest Library after Board President Alfred E. Hamill petitioned the City Council for the change "as a gesture of appreciation to the donors Mrs. Reed and Mrs. Schweppe." 1945 Nell Steele begins as Library Director.
U. Langenegger's wood sculpture busts of Ralph Waldo Emerson (Friends Reading Room) and John Greenleaf Whittier (Reference Room) installed.
The Library's name changed from Lake Forest Public Library to Lake Forest Library after Board President Alfred E. Hamill petitioned the City Council for the change "as a gesture of appreciation to the donors Mrs. Reed and Mrs. Schweppe."
Nell Steele begins as Library Director.
Summer Reading program for children started.
Frances M. Macke begins as Library Director on July 1.
Frances R. "Gine" Odell's "Lion and Lamb" limestone sculpture installed in West Courtyard.
Interlibrary Loan Service begins.
Young Adult collection established.
Louise Wells Kasian begins as Library Director in September.
Friends of Lake Forest Library formed.
Friends of Lake Forest Library first book sale.
Three new wings (architects Brenner, Danforth, and Rockwell) officially dedicated. Funds for the $1.1 million addition were underwritten by gifts from the community and a substantial donation from the Reed family.
Sydney S. Mellinger begins as Library Director on September 26.
"Seagulls" quartz sculpture by Dorothy Hobbs Boehm installed (in Fine Arts Room locked case).
"Flora and Fauna of Illinois" needlepoint tapestry designed by Lydia Lee; assisted by Kathleen McLaughlin Ballen; stitched by Lake Forest–Lake Bluff Needlepeople installed in former Garden Room (now Business Room).
"Girl Feeding Three Squirrels" bronzed sculpture by Dorothy Hobbs Boehm installed (now on east exterior of Children's Activity Room)
"Someone To Look Up To" watercolor diptych by Caroline Roberts installed in Children's Library
Public Access Catalog service begins
Kaye Grabbe begins as Library Director on April 11.
Wolfgang Kubach & Anna Maria Kubach-Wilmsen's "Lake Forest Library Stone Book" marble sculpture installed in east courtyard in August.
George S. Chappell's set of four photographs, "The Seasons" installed in foyer stairway (now in Reference Room Annex).
Three-level book stack renovation
Children's Library renovation, including Thomas Melvin mural for Children's foyer commissioned in memory of Douglas Keyt by Friends of Lake Forest Library
"Market Square" (set of two watercolors) by David T. Roberts installed in reference annex.
Public Internet access and Library web site started
Adult Reference room, Reference Annex, and Reading Room renovations(Reading Room dedicated to Frank Kreuz and named "Friends Reading Room")
Michael Croydon's, "Ex Libris" sculpture commissioned and installed on the library's front lawn
Local Area Network available
In 1996, renovations and refurbishing were completed in the Adult Reference Room and the Friends Reading Room. The Deer Path Art League of Lake Forest commissioned a Michael Croydon sculpture entitled Ex Libris, which was installed on the Library front lawn. The Friends of Lake Forest Library funded the restoration of the original 1931 Nicolai Remisoff murals located in the Library rotunda.
Restoration of the Nicolai Remisoff "Poets and Writers of Antiquity" murals originally installed in 1932(restoration funded by Friends of Lake Forest Library)
Dial-in access to Local Area Network
Stained glass windows installed in Children's foyer by Alexander Glass Company, Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
"Seasons" hand-painted ceramic tiles by Yvette Levita-Scimeca installed in children's restrooms.
"Lake Forest Library" watercolor painting by Mark McMahon was commissioned by Friends of Lake Forest Library in honor of the Library's Centennial and installed in foyer.
"Troll Under Bridge" conte crayon drawing by Ruth Tietjen Councell installed in Children's Library. Created during the Centennial kick-off celebration in May.
Digitized Community Cornerstone Architectural files
Friends commissioned Mark McMahon painting of the building
Book cart at Forest Park Beach
Completion of the Louise Wells Kasian Children's Activity Center in the space of the former children's courtyard, designed by David Woodhouse Architects.
Integrated Library System migration from GEAC to Sirsi
2nd Local Area Network upgrade
In the fall of 2000, the Children’s Library courtyard was covered, enclosed, and renamed the Louise Wells Kasian Children's Activity Center. Furnishings were funded by Friends of Lake Forest Library. The room, currently known as the Kasian Room, hosts many programs for both children and adults.
John James Audubon's ten aquatint engravings from "The Birds of America" restored by Kenyon Oppenheimer, Inc. (now Joel Oppenheimer, Inc.), funded by Friends of Lake Forest Library, memorial gifts, and the Library.
Business Room renovation funded by the Eugene A. and Emily L. Veto Foundation and Friends of Lake Forest Library
Mark McMahon painting of Friends Book Sale
Friends Landscape Plan
Fine Arts Room renovation funded by Friends of Lake Forest Library.
Garden Room refurbished
3rd Local Area Network upgrade
24/7 reference service, AskAway
75th Anniversary of the library building (June 7)
NetLibrary first eAudiobook download service
Alfred Medica memorial sculpture at front entrance (Peter Hessemer, sculptor)
1st Friends June Children's book sale in foyer
Staff Room renovated
Renovation of Children's Library including the commissioning of additional Thomas Melvin murals(stairwells, over circulation desk, over north area, and elevator and emergency exit doors by Friends of Lake Forest Library
Overdrive eBooks and eAudiobooks available
Online Mango Language service
Building-wide CCTV system installed
Social Networking: Facebook, Twitter
Freegal Music free music download resource added.
Franklin McMahon painting of Hemingway's house in Key West
Social Networking: FourSquare and QR codes
DVD2GO (Media Bank) self-serve DVD unit at west side (Milwaukee Road) train station
New web site: www.lakeforestlibrary.org
e-Pay for patrons
Slate roof restored
New signage in Children's Library
Initial year for the One Book One City program
Window restoration project with funds from private donors and the Friends of Lake Forest Library.
Zinio downloadable magazines
One Book One City program continues as Lake Forest Reads: Ragdale (a partnership with The Ragdale Foundation)
New signage installed in adult areas.
3M eBook resource added.
Media Lab designed by Dewberry and funded from private donors and the Friends of Lake Forest Library.
Exterior east stair railing replaced and redesigned.
Restoration of exterior courtyard gates.
Lake Forester newspaper from 1899-1940 digitized.
Hoopla e-content service added.
Courtyard doors and stairwell carpeting replaced.
Director Kaye Grabbe retires in April after 28 years and gives the Library a Franklin McMahon original watercolor: "Reading the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights."
Catherine A. Lemmer begins as Library Director on May 16.
Library logo redesigned.
Exhibit about Remisoff murals presented in the Foyer and Rotunda.
Library website and newsletter redesigned.
120 years of Lake Forest Library celebrated in July.
Exhibit about Library history presented in the Foyer.
First year of Read Between the Ravines (originally called Deep Freeze Read), the Two Communities / One Nonfiction Book program in partnership with Lake Bluff Public Library.
Library goes fine-free on February 1.
Library remained open online and by phone during COVID-19 pandemic stay-at-home orders.
Live chat added to the website for patrons to contact librarians.
"Lake Forest Fourth of July Concert of the Green" painting by Mark McMahon and three prints from the "Vienna Opera Series" by Franklin McMahon donated to the Library.
10th year of Lake Forest Reads (previously Lake Forest Reads: Ragdale).
Beta self-check machine installed.
Internet upgraded to fiber and additional WiFi access points installed.
Collections converted to RFID.